I like to keep an ear to the ground for the latest trends, but I don’t strictly follow what’s “in” or “out.” I dress in whatever makes me feel good. Currently, the trend forecast tells me the pleated midi is having its moment, and I am here for it.
I’ve been wearing pleated skirts in different lengths for years, so it makes me happy to know when I’m on-trend. The midi has a very 70s vibe, which I love, and the conservative length is modest and elegant—double love. Invest in one (or two, or three) and wear it from now until forever—this chic look is destined to trend again and again.
Here, a couple of my favorite ways to style the fashionable midi so that it flatters your figure:
1. The midi is an all-year-rounder and can be worn with sweaters, button-ups, a tee, blazer or even a turtleneck. I’ve worn mine every which way, but the sleeveless turtleneck paring is my favorite. A bodycon fit will balance the volume of the skirt for a slimming effect in all the right places. It is perfect mid-week lunch attire. (My black ribbed turtleneck is by Tylynn Nguyen.)
2. Find a style to suit your silhouette. I like my skirts to hug my waist to flatter my figure but the high-waisted look isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. Shorter torso? Look for a something that hangs more at the hips. Remember, the fit is more important than the length, which can always be altered.
3. Wear your midi with tennis shoes, flats, wedges or pumps. Note that heels in neutral nudes will accentuate your legs and make you appear taller. (Mine are by Gianvito Rossi)
4. As with my footwear, if I decide to wear long sleeves, or throw on a blazer or sweater throughout the day, I am sure to roll up my sleeves. Because of the longer skirt length, I like to balance out my look by strategically showing skin that elongates my limbs, adds additional height and doesn’t cut me in half.
5. Choose a style that has flowy, romantic movement. It’s comfortable, classic and very feminine. (I’m wearing a black, pleated floral skirt by Aritizia and it is everything!)
Shop My Wardrobe
Is there any other trend that you’re loving for 2018? Feel free to share below in the comments! xo